Top 6 Policies Adopted by Hindustan Unilever to Maintain Work Life Balance
Hindustan Unilever (HUL), India’s largest FMCG company, has introduced certain policies in order to maintain the perfect balance between professional and personal lives for the overall betterment of its employees. These are wonderful work-life balance initiatives taken by HUL, the company with over 80 years of existence in the country, manufacturing some of the best known products used by almost the entire population. These policies adopted by the company have helped its employees, especially the women employees to go hand-in-hand with work, fun and family.
- Policy of Career Break: Any manager of HUL is allowed to take a break of a period of 5 years in total. This is known as Career Break policy. Any manager can avail this policy for various reasons, be it leave for higher study, child care, paternity, maternity, sabbatical or pursuing any interest or hobby etc. Such a career break policy will help the employees to manage a perfect work life balance.
- Facilities in the Work Place: HUL’s head office at Mumbai is available with all facilities that allow employees to work as well to have fun. There are day-care facilities inside the office complex, helpful for the new mothers. You will also find bank, cafe, shopping centre, florist at the office premise. The office is also furnished with a gymnasium. There are drop facilities available for women employees working late escorted by guards. Such facilities available inside the office premises not only ensure a perfect working environment but also help the employees to perform better.
- Maternity and Paternity Support: Another advantageous initiative adopted by the company is the launching of the integrated online portal called Maternity and Paternity Support (MAPS), which enables employees taking maternity or paternity leaves to keep themselves associated with their job responsibilities and company’s events and news via various tools, resources and guidance during this transition period. So anyone who joins the organisation after a break does not take time to come back on the track.
- Agile Working: HUL is known for its technology-enabled environment that helps employees to avail policies like as flexible hours, work from home, and part-time working, reduced hours and also a job share policy. Such policies are very helpful for women employees to maintain a perfect work life balance.
- Lamplighter Employee Programme: The company has also introduced a health incentive program by the name of “Lamplighter Employee Programme”, which enables employees to address health issues and eliminate health risks. There are regular checks on the fitness, mental condition and the nutrition level of employees. On the basis of the health quotient, the employees are assigned colour codes (green, amber and red). There is also the Medical and Occupational Health Team which encourages employees to adopt a healthy lifestyle through various health promotion and protection programmes and help employees to transit from Red (bad health) to Amber and from Amber to Green (good health).
- Career by Choice programme: This is a program solely adopted for the women employees to give them a direction to join work after a long gap. Any women employee joining back after a long break, be it for maternity or marriage or sickness or any other reason, is given a structured induction training program to gradually move to the work life.
GharSeNaukri is acting towards balancing a work life balance in women’s career by providing work from home opportunities by creating jobs from corporate’s.