A career mentor is one of the upcoming jobs in the present day job market. With so many courses and subjects available and with different career options, most students require a mentor at some point of their time. This job profile has become very popular as one of the best work-from-home opportunities, especially for women. A career mentor is one who can help and guide students in the significant stages of their school and college lives, and make them successful in their lives.
When you become a career mentor and you are not working for any particular organization but you work as a freelancer and work from home, you need to put in more efforts to become a popular name in your circuit. It is like your own business and you need to make a mark of it as a successful and well-known mentor. Being a mentor means being a trusted advisor to someone.
How do you become a great career mantra?
Becoming a mentor isn’t quite as simple. There are two steps involved: you have to think your own career advancement and you also have to think of the career advancement of the person you are helping. You can deal with one or two or many mentees as per your capability but you have to teach them, guide them and help them to get ahead in life.
Here are a few simple and quick tips for creating a mutually beneficial and productive professional relationship.
- Be an easily approachable person for your mentee or student: A student will try to reach you at their time of need, at times may be in odd hours too. Be warm and friendly and show your interest to listen to him. Stop doing other things and give the student your full attention. When he or she meets you during the appointment time as scheduled earlier, do everything that can help him or her.
- Respect your student and her time: Your client is a student and it is obvious that he or she will be younger to you. But, just as you want your mentee to be prepared with her questions, problems, note book in hand to jot down important notes, similarly, you also try to show her the same respect and respect her time. Be prepared what you plan to accomplish during the meeting and the important points you intend to discuss. It is not necessary that there will be a rigid plan, but do keep in mind few possible questions and solutions in advance that will come in handy.
- Observe your mentee’s progress carefully: In addition to sharing wisdom and guidance, you also need to observe her progress. You need to pay attention to the skills and information she is struggling with and also those skills which she is mastering. Praise her when necessary. But never ignore her weak points. Focus on areas that require more attention.
- Be a good listener: You cannot help a student to reach a goal or destination, if you don’t find out yourself what those goals are. Listen to your student carefully, understand her and then do everything you can to help her get there. Listen closely to what she is saying, ask questions to know her deep within.
- Approach each student differently: Remember each mentee is unique. When you first start out, it is essential to take the time to assess your own style and approach for each student, and find out what kind of commitment you can and want to make for each of them.
- Know your mentee at a personal level: The relationship between you and your student is a very personal one. You work in your flexible timing and you can have as many as mentees you can handle. But the success mantra is that you should know each student personally. You cannot simply give some advice and earn money. You should try to develop a personal relationship with your student so that you stand out as an amazing mentor.
GharSeNaukri.com offers some good work from home mentoring jobs.